The Sacramento Fire Department responded this morning to 320 Capitol Mall for a report of a suspicious package. Firefighters arrived and were told by California Highway Patrol Officers on scene that an employee of the Department of Insurance had opened a package and came into contact with an unknown substance and became ill. She was taken to a local hospital by her Supervisor.
The room that the package was in was closed and the area evacuated. Firefighters requested our Haz Mat Team. Sacramento Fire Haz Mat personnel entered the room with the package and removed the package from the building for testing. Test showed that nothing toxic or hazardous was found.
Two Highway Patrol Officers who came into contact with the envelope were also taken to a local hospital as a precaution. The apparent substance was thought to be a wax seal, used to seal envelopes. In addition to the California Highway Patrol, crews from Sacramento County Haz Mat and the California State Department of Insurance were on scene.