Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Carbon Monoxide Poisons Family

Five members of a South Sacramento family are in the hospital tonight after being exposed to Carbon Monoxide. The Sacramento Fire Department was called to the home on 47th Street after hospital officials notified us that they received three family members all showing signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Firefighters responded to the home and found two additional family members with the same symptoms. They were transported to the hospital and all family members are expected to be OK.

It is not known exactly what caused the Carbon Monoxide gas to enter into the home, but they were using a fire place that may have not been operating properly and they also had been using two gasoline powered generators inside their garage for the last month. Firefighters were able to obtain very high readings of Carbon Monoxide on their detectors.

The family is very lucky to have had this happen to them while they were still awake. This could have been a tragedy if they would have gone to bed tonight without having the problem alleviated.

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that can kill you. It is produced by anything that burns, including gasoline engines, barbeques, fireplaces, natural gas heaters, etc. Signs and symptoms are similar to those of the flu virus as well as cherry red skin color.

If you feel that you are having a Carbon Monoxide emergency, air it out please evacuate your home and call 911.

No comments: